Friday, June 10, 2011

WriT Day -Wanna Be

I must admit, the fact that it was Friday slipped my mind. I was dwelling on my friend Jenni's book review that she posts every Friday and I realized, "It's Friday!"

I'm a genius.

I do have a good excuse. This week has been a whirl wind for me. I've spent every night on my WIP, which is a good thing. I'll post more about that on Tuesday.

Since it's so late in the day, I don't have any great writing tips out there for anyone. However, earlier this week as I was loading my girls into the car, I had a thought. I feel like a wanna be author. I don't like it.

I have always dreaded being a wanna be. High School was spent trying to make myself the opposite of cool so that I wouldn't come across as trying too hard. That's right, I purposefully didn't buy the cute clothes because I thought they would look at me and say, "There's Kimmie, she's trying way too hard." It was my biggest fear. I'm genuinely surprised my husband fell for me during those interesting years, because I was pretty...nerdy.

Now I must face those same fears again. I never planned on being an author, it was never my dream. However, I did always have a dream that I would do something that was worth while, that would get my name out there. Writing is definitely a way to achieve that dream, and that is what I am aiming for.

But a big part of me feels like a wanna be. There are so many authors out there who have spent their whole lives dreaming of the day that they would sign a book deal and be published. Their dreams have been around forever, and I feel like I'm impeding on that.

Does that make me a 'wanna be?'

I guess not. But I'll have to try and have my logical side convince my emotional side of that fact.

What about you? Do you ever feel like a wanna be writer? If you have any tips on how I can move past it, please share!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Kimmel, you are NOT a wannabe writer. You have talent, and it would be a shame on the world if you hid it away. Just because you may not have been like those of us who have been obsessing over this since we could hold a pen, doesn't mean it cannot be your dream too. Sometimes dreams are only discovered later in life. It doesn't make them any less important or amazing.

    SO DO NOT STOP!
    I won't let you. Grr...

    ReplyDelete