Wednesday, November 16, 2011

WIP - It's getting easier

I didn't do a post last week so my update will include the past few weeks of NaNoWriMo.

As November approached I was getting more and more nervous to begin the rigorous writing month. I had great memories from last year and I was anxious to recapture the amazing feeling of finishing a 50k word novel...but to get the feeling you actually have to finish.

I have been working on a story idea for months so you'd think it would be easier to dive right in and begin the writing process. Wrong!

Because this idea has been dancing in my head for so long I have really felt the pressure to capture it the way I see it, which is hard. Really hard.

The first couple of days this month were extremely difficult. It was like pulling teeth just to get the required daily word count out. It was a task, a chore. I didn't look forward to the times I had to write, it was dreaded.

Part of the problem was the pressure I put myself under, but part of it has also been due to the fact that I am in a new state this time and my dear writing partner, Jenni, is all the way on the other side of the country. A three hour time difference puts plenty of kinks in the 'lets write together and do writing wars' plan.

Those wars with Jenni last year were the only reason I was able to finish last year, so I've had to find new reasons to write this year.

Thankfully, once I hit about 12,000 words, it started to become much easier and the words began to flow. I finally reached that point in writing where I look forward to it on a daily basis. And, I'm happy to report, last night I hit 30, 029 words! Woohoo!

I know I have at least 20k of material left, I just don't know how much more than that I will be able to write. However, I do know that I am looking forward to finishing it and having the complete story in my grasp! Happy Writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment