Wednesday, August 10, 2011

WIP - Idea overload

I'm beginning to wish that I had been able to participate in Camp NaNoWriMo this year. For those of you who don't know, NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month and it is a challenge that takes place to write a 50,000 word novel in the month of November.

Camp NaNoWriMo is the same idea, but it takes place during the summer. They are currently in the middle of the second session for the month of August. My amazing friend Jenni is taking part in it.

I'm in the middle of a cross country move, so my time is limited as far as creative outlets are concerned, but I didn't think I would participate in August regardless due to a limited amount of ideas swirling around in my head. I wanted to make sure that I had enough projects to work on without my brain running dry.

It turns out that was an unnecessary fear. I just had another idea hit me the other night while my husband and I were out with some friends. I won't say what the idea is, because it's still in the rough stages and I don't want anyone to steal it away from me, but I was so excited about this teeny tiny little seed of an idea.

To be honest, I wasn't sure if I could make much out of it. But this morning while laying in bed (I've been noticing a pattern, sitting in bed in the mornings seems to agree with my muse) and I had this sudden enlightenment on how to work that little idea into a full on novel.

Of course I had to write it down. I was so glad I gave in and bought a pack of three mini composition notebooks at the Dollar Store yesterday because I had a place to write down my ideas for this new story. I already had two, but they've been claimed by kleoS and another unnamed story that I'm developing.

For all you aspiring authors out there, I highly recommend acquiring some small notebooks that you can keep on hand to capture those fleeting thoughts. They may not seem like much, but with a little tweaking and nudging you can make that thought blossom into a full length book. I've done it, and I'm excited to do it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment