Wednesday, August 31, 2011

WIP - First Review of Transformation

I missed last week's WIP day because I was in the middle of a move and without iternet. Sadness.

It's almost pathetic how much I rely on the internet these days, but it's so much more than a web of information. It provides connections to friends, outlets to vent, and a way to publicize...though some uses are admittedly better (or used more often) than others.

It's easy to get on here and check facebook and e-mail while reading blog posts about things you love. It's not so easy to put yourself out there, leaving others open to criticize and potentially tear you apart. The hope is that they will take that opportunity to build you up, boost your self esteem a little, but unfortunately there are no guarantees as to what will be said about you.

Why am I ranting about this?

I had submitted my first book, Transformation, for review shortly after it was published last month. I want to submit a few more copies for review, but with my move and the expenses that are necessary for that, I couldn't afford to at the time.

Since the submission I have been waiting for that first review to pop up. I've known friends and family who have read it and it's been well received, but it's always hard to tell if people like it because it's good or because they know you, the author. I'm still not sure.

I have been privileged to read the review before it will be posted on the internet. I'm not sure when it will go up, though I would assume it will be some time in the next few days. (I will post the link when it does.) I will admit upon reading the review my heart sank a bit. It wasn't the rave review my subconscious had been hoping for, though not really expecting. Though, it wasn't the worst review I could have received either. I appreciate that the reviewer took the time to talk about the specifics that bothered her and she made sure to point out the things that she liked. That's really all I can ask for as an author.

My biggest frustration is that the first review of Transformation is not the best one it could be. I'm hoping over time a few great ones will show up, but in the meantime I will take her criticism and work with it so I can be a better author for my next project that I'm currently outlining. For a first novel, I'm awfully proud of Transformation, and though I know there are things that I'm constantly wanting to change about it, I will leave it as it is.

It's a starting point for my writing adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment