Friday, October 14, 2011

Book Review - If I Stay

Title: If I Stay

Author: Gayle Forman


Synopsis from Goodreads: In a single moment, everything changes. Seventeen year- old Mia has no memory of the accident; she can only recall riding along the snow-wet Oregon road with her family. Then, in a blink, she finds herself watching as her own damaged body is taken from the wreck...


A sophisticated, layered, and heartachingly beautiful story about the power of family and friends, the choices we all make -and the ultimate choice Mia commands.


My Review: This book was fascinating. It takes place during a twenty-four hour period of time, beginning a few hours before the car accident and ending the next morning. It only covers a short time period, it's written in such a way that we learn all about Mia's life. The author takes the reader back in time with flashbacks as Mia is remembering her life. I loved this execution. It helped to build so many layers as Mia struggles with the decision that will impact the rest of her life, should she stay or should she let go?


The best part for me was the fact that, as the reader, you had no idea what Mia was going to choose until the very end, when she actually does. I was gripped right from the beginning and I couldn't let go until I knew how it ended. It almost didn't matter to me what she chose, I just needed to know what it the choice was. Though, I must say I really liked how it ended.


The only negative thing about the book was how liberal Mia's parents were. It wasn't even that they were liberal, I found that to be refreshing, but I felt it was unrealistic that Mia would have a boyfriend who would spend the night when she was still in high school. Especially since her Dad has transitioned from a rocker to a 'traditional' father figure over the past few years...and yet he lets his daughter's boyfriend spend the night in her bed? It just didn't sit well with me. For that reason, I can't give the book a 5 star, but it's a high 4 for me.


My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment