Friday, May 20, 2011

WriT - Finding Time to Write

I've been in Seattle for my little sister's wedding this week so life has been crazy. More so than usual anyway. The wedding is actually today, and I was sure I wouldn't have time to get a post up for the day. My plan to write it early in the week in reserve for today failed miserably. Nine kids under one roof under the age of five does not a good writing environment make.

This problem helped me come up with my topic for today. Finding the time to write.

A quick Google search brought up this article.

I really liked it because it goes over something that is right in front of our faces...time. There are so many instances in a day where we aren't doing anything but waiting, so why not write instead?

One of my sisters asked me a couple of days ago how I manage to keep my house together with two little kids. The answer boils down to priorities. I find the time to do the things that are important to me.

If you had asked me a year ago if I would try and write, I would have laughed at you. Partly from lack of confidence. I sincerely doubted my ability to write anything that people would want to read. Plus, I didn't have the time. Or so I thought.

Now, my life is just as crazy as it was a year ago, if not more so. And yet, I wrote a book in a month. And I've done three rounds of editing in four months. Writing has become important to me and I make the time.

So instead of asking yourself if you have the time to write, you should ask is it important to me to write? Because if it is, you'll make time, even if the only time you write is while you sit on the toilet.

4 comments:

  1. Love it Kimmel! It's so true... you have to make the time, not find it. (Though I can't fully say I have written on the toilet... yet!)

    Oh, and I have been catching up on my neglected Beta reading. Must say: I'm liking it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you... but.
    I can't write in bits and pieces of time. I just can't do it. I've tried. I need a good, solid chunk of time where I won't be interrupted, or I just can't get anywhere. It's very sad, and I wish it wasn't like that.

    However, I can read in bits and pieces, so I use small chunks, frequently, for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Jenni - I'm SO glad you're liking it! And thanks for playing catch up for me!

    @Andrew - What a disappointment that you can't write in bits and pieces. I think I've been blessed with the mother's ability to keep many projects going at one time so I can squeeze in a good paragraph or two wherever. But reading is a great thing to do and it helps your writing in a way that actually writing can't!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I'm always reading. I carry a book with me most everywhere. I hate being caught somewhere without one. I even read when I walk places.

    ReplyDelete